My Opening Thoughts

I'm back! I decided to come back to my blog and renew submitting my thoughts. I had taken time away due to my job and wasn't sure if my thoughts should be put online. After some consideration I have decided, screw it, I am going to speak my mind.

Some of you are aware, I work in the fishing industry as a sales representative. I had been concerned that my thoughts would be tied to a company that I work for. Well, here is my get out of jail free card, these are my thoughts, mine, not yours, mine! If or perhaps WHEN I say something stupid, I am stupid, not a company that I represent. These are my thoughts.

My fishing style is simple, I am a finesse fisherman with a minor in heavy cover! Odd combo I know but something that has served me well over the years. I love to have a couple drop shot rods on the deck and a couple flipping sticks.

I consider myself a good fisherman. Not the best or I would be doing it for a living. I enjoy tournaments but seldom fish them anymore due to high costs.

I prefer natural lakes that are near my home. I live in the great state of Minnesota! Minnesota offers what I believe is the best bass fishing in the world. Sure we have ice for 5 months a year but that is what also makes it so good. I can travel 30 miles from my home and fish over a dozen lakes where I can catch 3 to 5 lb fish on a regular basis! More important then that, I can do it in August and also have 25 to 50 fish days along with those 5lb fish. Sure we don't have 20lb Monsters like they do in California but we have the most consistent 3 to 5lb fish in the nation.

With my background in the fishing industry I will also make comments on the industry and thoughts on products. I have one major bias and that is my boat, Bass Cat makes the best boat in the world! Well, there is also a second bias, Humminbird.

With that being said lets all enjoy the ride!

Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Snell Knot, Time to learn if you don't already know!

I am very excited to report that my findings on hooks is going to blossom into an article that will be submitted to In-Fisherman Magazine. (Not certain it will hit the news stand but will be submitted to them) I have tested many different models of hooks for flipping grass and other techniques that involve the more traditional casting of a plastic worm. During my testing I begin to report my findings to several In-Fisherman staff members and to my total surprise they told me to start writing.

I contacted Tim Norman of Youvella and he put in contact with his prostaff so that I could get detailed information about hooks and why the pros were picking the shapes they were. The main focus of my article will be on the shape of the hook and not the brand. Brand gets into personal preference and into a very controversial topic of brand loyalty and hook points. I decided to focus on shape.

If you are not aware the prostaff for Youvella is Peter T, Ish Monroe, Mike Iaconnelli, and Greg Hackney. I am excited to report that I have heard from several of them and the information is pouring in. The shape of choice will come later but one over riding thing keeps coming up. The knot! That is right the knot being used is very important to the touring pros. I was surprised to hear the excitement in Greg Hackney's voice when he discussed the snell knot. It was excitement not because he was jumping up and down but rather because he was adamant that you must use the snell knot when using heavy weights and braid.

Ish Monroe didn't allow the discussion to go any further when the topic of knots came up. "I use the snell knot for everything now!" (Everything is in regard to sliding or pegged weights in a texas style rig) This mainly to be used in the straight shank hook and the offset. None the less the snell knot is being used when ever the pro's are using a sliding weight.

Interesting stuff! I spent a day experimenting with the knot and to say the least I was very impressed. I would have never believed that a knot could be such a huge difference in my hook up ratio. I used it on all shapes of hooks while using a sliding weight and found that for what ever reason my hook ups started to come in the roof of the mouth rather then the sides or the bottom.

I have included a detailed showing of how to tie the knot. Please try it and see the difference! I was amazed at my results and feel you will be also, enjoy!

Ross

The Snell Fishing Knot
The Snell Knot provides a strong connection when fishing with bait and using a separate length of leader. You can only use a Snell Knot with a leader.

SNELL KNOT

Tying a Snell Knot to Fishing Hook, Step 1


1. Insert one end of the leader through the hook's eye, extending 1 to 2 inches past the eye.

Insert the other end of the leader through the eye in the opposite direction pointing toward the barb of the hook.

Hold the hook and leader ends between your thumb and forefinger of left hand. Leader will hang below the hook in a large loop.

Tying a Snell Knot to Fishing Hook, Step 2 2. Take the part of the large lower loop that is closest to the eye and wrap it over the hook shank and both ends of the leader toward the hook's barb.

Tying a Snell Knot to Fishing Hook, Step 3

3. Continue to wrap for 7 or 8 turns and hold wraps with left hand. Grip the end of the leader that is through the eyelet with your right hand and pull it slowly and steadily. Hold the turns with your left hand or the knot will unravel.

When knot is almost tight, slide it up against the eye of the hook. Grip the short end lying along the shank of the hook with a pair of pliers. Pull this end and the standing line at the same time to completely tighten the knot.

2 comments:

Basspastor said...

Ross what's up? Are you giving up on blogging? That would be to bad because you were doing an excellent job. My main blog is Bass Pundit and I have been blogging since 2004. You are the 20th bass fishing blog I've found that is written out of Minnesota. I hope you keep it up and Good Luck!!!

BP

HellaBass said...

No kidding, you got off to a very good start, gotta get some more entries up, its easier to write in winter when the water is frozen!!