My Opening Thoughts

I'm back! I decided to come back to my blog and renew submitting my thoughts. I had taken time away due to my job and wasn't sure if my thoughts should be put online. After some consideration I have decided, screw it, I am going to speak my mind.

Some of you are aware, I work in the fishing industry as a sales representative. I had been concerned that my thoughts would be tied to a company that I work for. Well, here is my get out of jail free card, these are my thoughts, mine, not yours, mine! If or perhaps WHEN I say something stupid, I am stupid, not a company that I represent. These are my thoughts.

My fishing style is simple, I am a finesse fisherman with a minor in heavy cover! Odd combo I know but something that has served me well over the years. I love to have a couple drop shot rods on the deck and a couple flipping sticks.

I consider myself a good fisherman. Not the best or I would be doing it for a living. I enjoy tournaments but seldom fish them anymore due to high costs.

I prefer natural lakes that are near my home. I live in the great state of Minnesota! Minnesota offers what I believe is the best bass fishing in the world. Sure we have ice for 5 months a year but that is what also makes it so good. I can travel 30 miles from my home and fish over a dozen lakes where I can catch 3 to 5 lb fish on a regular basis! More important then that, I can do it in August and also have 25 to 50 fish days along with those 5lb fish. Sure we don't have 20lb Monsters like they do in California but we have the most consistent 3 to 5lb fish in the nation.

With my background in the fishing industry I will also make comments on the industry and thoughts on products. I have one major bias and that is my boat, Bass Cat makes the best boat in the world! Well, there is also a second bias, Humminbird.

With that being said lets all enjoy the ride!

Monday, March 29, 2010

Sport Show Season?

Well as the sports show season comes to an end I have to ask, where is the excitement? Years ago there was a buzz around the Northwest Sports Show, this year there just wasn't as much rah, rah.

I wonder, is it the internet that has slowed the shows? We get to see everything the second it hits the market, no waiting, and no wanting. With a click of a button the new bait is on the way. Perhaps that is killing some of the excitement. Perhaps it is the endless sales that run up to the shows. Gander, Cabela's, Bass Pro and every tackle website on the net are having sales and many of us are attending these events. If we have a question it will get answered before we ever get to downtown Minneapolis or where ever your show of choice is.

I still feel the show is important to the industry but I feel we as an industry need to find a new way to put our shows out to the public. I am open to ideas if anyone has one! LOL

A fellow rep made a great point at the recent Northwest Show, he commented on what seemed to be a huge age gap. There just doesn't seem to be very many 15 to 30 year old's walking the show. I hope we can come up with a way to change that trend.

3 comments:

Basspastor said...

Ross

For the past couple of years I have been blogging a for fun Bass Fishing Derby and am doing it again this year. As a Minnesota bass fishing blogger you are welcome to participate. Just blog details of bass caught in MN over 3lbs or 17 inches and I will tally your catch.

For details this is the dedicated blog:
http://bpmbassderby.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

Hi Ross, wondering if you have a moment. I was your co-angler for the BASS weekend series up in LAX. First thing, very informative blog. I do very much enjoy your articles on finesse fishing. I think you should add something about wacky rigging and how you can actually drop shot wacky rigs! :)

Also, I was wondering if you could email me at yanger_d at yahoo.com? I have some personal questions regarding a body of water near Hudson for our expertise answer! Thanks and good luck in Pool 4 and 5!

Unknown said...

Thank you so much for this wonderful article really!
If someone want to know more about baitcasting reel I think this is the right place for you!
http://guidancesports.com/