My Opening Thoughts

I'm back! I decided to come back to my blog and renew submitting my thoughts. I had taken time away due to my job and wasn't sure if my thoughts should be put online. After some consideration I have decided, screw it, I am going to speak my mind.

Some of you are aware, I work in the fishing industry as a sales representative. I had been concerned that my thoughts would be tied to a company that I work for. Well, here is my get out of jail free card, these are my thoughts, mine, not yours, mine! If or perhaps WHEN I say something stupid, I am stupid, not a company that I represent. These are my thoughts.

My fishing style is simple, I am a finesse fisherman with a minor in heavy cover! Odd combo I know but something that has served me well over the years. I love to have a couple drop shot rods on the deck and a couple flipping sticks.

I consider myself a good fisherman. Not the best or I would be doing it for a living. I enjoy tournaments but seldom fish them anymore due to high costs.

I prefer natural lakes that are near my home. I live in the great state of Minnesota! Minnesota offers what I believe is the best bass fishing in the world. Sure we have ice for 5 months a year but that is what also makes it so good. I can travel 30 miles from my home and fish over a dozen lakes where I can catch 3 to 5 lb fish on a regular basis! More important then that, I can do it in August and also have 25 to 50 fish days along with those 5lb fish. Sure we don't have 20lb Monsters like they do in California but we have the most consistent 3 to 5lb fish in the nation.

With my background in the fishing industry I will also make comments on the industry and thoughts on products. I have one major bias and that is my boat, Bass Cat makes the best boat in the world! Well, there is also a second bias, Humminbird.

With that being said lets all enjoy the ride!

Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Elites drop the Co's

Last week during the excitement of ICAST the Bassmaster's Elite Tour dropped some pretty serious news of there own. They dropped the Co-Anglers from the tour. During the past week I have read a lot from the pro's and co-anglers on various websites:

www.bassfan.com - lots of views on this
www.basszone.com - views of the pros

I will throw out my two cents on this deal. Simple, it must be done! The tour is called the "Elites" for a reason. They should have total control over their day and total control over their destiny. Some of these co-anglers are down right mad. They have a right to be disappointed but lets get real, they are amateurs in the back of the boat that don't need to be there. The anger is a little over the top in my opinion. The industry is driven by average fisherman buying product that the pros use. These Co's make is sound like they are the only ones buying tackle. The average fisherman, I call them "Joe Lunch Bucket" has never signed up to be a co and frankly doesn't have the income to burn money running across the US to ride in the back of the boat.

Yes these guys are our hero's and we were given a unique chance to ride along with them to view it first hand. Well that has changed. As I have said to people before, I don't get to suit up the Seahawks on Sunday, Golf a round with Tiger or ride in the car with Jr. So why is it my god given right to ride with KVD for the day? This anger is directed at BASS and that is fine. But these guys saying this will effect sales of product, GET REAL!!!! Are you telling me that since you don't get to ride with KVD you are not going to buy a Sexy Shad Series 5 from Strike King. Get over yourself! I own a couple just like you do. I wish I could be buddies with KVD but I'm NOT!

In less then a couple of weeks this will blow over and it will have ZERO effect on anything other then the standings at the 2009 Elite Tour. No one will really see the standings change but there is tons of stories of guys being tipped off by their Co on which color to use or what depth to fish. Well that is over. Now we get to see who is the best. No help in anyway. NONE! I'm am not stupid, no one is on the Elite tour because of something a co did or didn't do but day in and day out guys are seeing something or picking up something and that changes the playing field for the rest. Now the playing field is level. So lets see what happens.

Ross

No comments: