My Opening Thoughts

I'm back! I decided to come back to my blog and renew submitting my thoughts. I had taken time away due to my job and wasn't sure if my thoughts should be put online. After some consideration I have decided, screw it, I am going to speak my mind.

Some of you are aware, I work in the fishing industry as a sales representative. I had been concerned that my thoughts would be tied to a company that I work for. Well, here is my get out of jail free card, these are my thoughts, mine, not yours, mine! If or perhaps WHEN I say something stupid, I am stupid, not a company that I represent. These are my thoughts.

My fishing style is simple, I am a finesse fisherman with a minor in heavy cover! Odd combo I know but something that has served me well over the years. I love to have a couple drop shot rods on the deck and a couple flipping sticks.

I consider myself a good fisherman. Not the best or I would be doing it for a living. I enjoy tournaments but seldom fish them anymore due to high costs.

I prefer natural lakes that are near my home. I live in the great state of Minnesota! Minnesota offers what I believe is the best bass fishing in the world. Sure we have ice for 5 months a year but that is what also makes it so good. I can travel 30 miles from my home and fish over a dozen lakes where I can catch 3 to 5 lb fish on a regular basis! More important then that, I can do it in August and also have 25 to 50 fish days along with those 5lb fish. Sure we don't have 20lb Monsters like they do in California but we have the most consistent 3 to 5lb fish in the nation.

With my background in the fishing industry I will also make comments on the industry and thoughts on products. I have one major bias and that is my boat, Bass Cat makes the best boat in the world! Well, there is also a second bias, Humminbird.

With that being said lets all enjoy the ride!

Monday, July 21, 2008

Fishing on a budget

With any luck, this will be a weekly tip that I will post. Gas is $3.90 a gallon here in Woodbury, MN. You have to cut corners when ever you can. So my first cost saving tip involves one of my favorites, good old water or beverages in the boat.

The first mistake I see a lot of guys make is buying bottled water. A bottle of water at the local gas station will usually go around $.99 to $1.99 depending on size and brand. So for conversation lets say that you buy three bottle at $1.50 per fishing trip. That equals $4.50 a trip. If you fish an average amount, lets say 2 days a week for 4 months out of the year. That equals an amazing $144 dollars of water a year!

Here is what I do, I buy 5 water bottles and a water purification unit for my house. Grand total is $39.95. You can buy a simple system for your kitchen sink for around $25 and 5 water bottles at $2.99 a piece. By the way this is pretty much a one time investment unless you tend to loose the water bottles! I just saved you $104.00 or around that a year. A lot more if you go without the purification unit.

Seems kind of dumb until you run the numbers. Pop is expensive and only drains you because of the sugar in the boat anyway. You should never mix beer and running a bass boat any way so I'll leave that one alone. Lets say you want some flavor in your water. Buy powder! I buy Gatorade in the powder form for around $3.79 a unit. It can mix up 2 gallons per unit. If you bought Gatorade in the bottled form it would cost you about $1.50 for a 20 oz bottle. Well after you buy 3 bottles that equals 60 ounces I'll still have 196 ounces to go!

Like I said, run the numbers and it will surprise you on how much you spend on the simple stuff we can control in the boat.

Ross

No comments: