My Opening Thoughts

I'm back! I decided to come back to my blog and renew submitting my thoughts. I had taken time away due to my job and wasn't sure if my thoughts should be put online. After some consideration I have decided, screw it, I am going to speak my mind.

Some of you are aware, I work in the fishing industry as a sales representative. I had been concerned that my thoughts would be tied to a company that I work for. Well, here is my get out of jail free card, these are my thoughts, mine, not yours, mine! If or perhaps WHEN I say something stupid, I am stupid, not a company that I represent. These are my thoughts.

My fishing style is simple, I am a finesse fisherman with a minor in heavy cover! Odd combo I know but something that has served me well over the years. I love to have a couple drop shot rods on the deck and a couple flipping sticks.

I consider myself a good fisherman. Not the best or I would be doing it for a living. I enjoy tournaments but seldom fish them anymore due to high costs.

I prefer natural lakes that are near my home. I live in the great state of Minnesota! Minnesota offers what I believe is the best bass fishing in the world. Sure we have ice for 5 months a year but that is what also makes it so good. I can travel 30 miles from my home and fish over a dozen lakes where I can catch 3 to 5 lb fish on a regular basis! More important then that, I can do it in August and also have 25 to 50 fish days along with those 5lb fish. Sure we don't have 20lb Monsters like they do in California but we have the most consistent 3 to 5lb fish in the nation.

With my background in the fishing industry I will also make comments on the industry and thoughts on products. I have one major bias and that is my boat, Bass Cat makes the best boat in the world! Well, there is also a second bias, Humminbird.

With that being said lets all enjoy the ride!

Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Sometimes Bigger is Better!

For years and years I only carried bullets weights up to 1/2oz and almost never had a weight rigged over 1/4oz. I never saw the need. Well my eyes have been opened and I am here to share the wealth.

Almost by accident I discovered fishing with the big weights. When I refer to big weights I am discussing weights over and including 3/4oz. I have in my box several in the 3/4, 1, and 1 1/2oz sizes. I prefer the Tru-Tungsten brand but admit that I have never really played with the others. The biggest thing that drew me to the Tru-Tungsten brand was the fact that they are black. The Bass Pro private label is almost chrome and I feel that might scare a fish or two away.

The big weight deal requires, and I do mean requires a heavy rod and heavy line. I personally fish with a Falcon CC-7-176H and use 65lb Sunline Braid. I have settled on these brands because at one time I was the sales person for them both and grew closely attached to these brands. As far as the rod goes it is fantastic for my use but you can sub your favorite brand as long as it is heavy. The same goes for the line.

The question that I get asked most from buddies about the use of this technique is where and why. That is what I hope to answer here today. The best answer to the where, is to say, almost everywhere. I started like most working the big weights in super heavy cover that required a "punching" style. Milfoil is the easiest to give as an example. What I quickly discovered is that the big weight gives your plastics a totally different look when it hits the bottom. Watch a plastic craw hit the bottom with a 1/4oz then watch it hit with a 1 oz. On the big weight the claws JUMP up into the fish's face. Requiring aggressive hits from bass. The 1/4 oz (which I still use a lot) falls even and flat. There is a place for both in your tackle box.

By using a big weight in normal cover you can trigger a bite that might otherwise leave a 1/4oz weight alone. This came into perfect focus last fall during a tournament that a friend and I fished on Pool 4 of the Mississippi River. On day two of the tournament I switched to the big weight to try to punch through a small patch of slop close to some wood. While working the weight out towards the end of the tree I was met with a VICIOUS strike that turned out to be a nice healthy 3lb fish. Quickly my partner also put on a big weight and two trees later he was met with the same aggressive type of hit. We had worked through the same area with lighter weights and no luck. On our second pass we took three fish. Two that went 3lbs a piece and one what turned out to be the big fish of the tournament weighting 4.25lbs. Not the biggest fish in the world but certainly the biggest fish of the day. That fish answered the "why" question!

The bites tend to be hard and vicious. Be prepared for quick bites on the fall and the second it hits the bottom. The biggest adjustment that you need to make is make sure you don't drop your rod tip!!!!! I'll say that again, don't drop your rod tip! Reason is simple, if you let that fish fell that heavy weight in his mouth he will spit it out very quickly. Lift up and if their is weight set the hook!

The plastics choice is simple, what ever you prefer. I have caught fish using the YUM Vibra King Mega Tube and also the Gander Mountain Yomama in their private label brand. Other favorites are the Lake Fork Craw Tube and the Net Bait Paca Craw.

Use this technique in the heavy cover along with the light cover. It can work either way!

Ross

No comments: