My Opening Thoughts

I'm back! I decided to come back to my blog and renew submitting my thoughts. I had taken time away due to my job and wasn't sure if my thoughts should be put online. After some consideration I have decided, screw it, I am going to speak my mind.

Some of you are aware, I work in the fishing industry as a sales representative. I had been concerned that my thoughts would be tied to a company that I work for. Well, here is my get out of jail free card, these are my thoughts, mine, not yours, mine! If or perhaps WHEN I say something stupid, I am stupid, not a company that I represent. These are my thoughts.

My fishing style is simple, I am a finesse fisherman with a minor in heavy cover! Odd combo I know but something that has served me well over the years. I love to have a couple drop shot rods on the deck and a couple flipping sticks.

I consider myself a good fisherman. Not the best or I would be doing it for a living. I enjoy tournaments but seldom fish them anymore due to high costs.

I prefer natural lakes that are near my home. I live in the great state of Minnesota! Minnesota offers what I believe is the best bass fishing in the world. Sure we have ice for 5 months a year but that is what also makes it so good. I can travel 30 miles from my home and fish over a dozen lakes where I can catch 3 to 5 lb fish on a regular basis! More important then that, I can do it in August and also have 25 to 50 fish days along with those 5lb fish. Sure we don't have 20lb Monsters like they do in California but we have the most consistent 3 to 5lb fish in the nation.

With my background in the fishing industry I will also make comments on the industry and thoughts on products. I have one major bias and that is my boat, Bass Cat makes the best boat in the world! Well, there is also a second bias, Humminbird.

With that being said lets all enjoy the ride!

Friday, July 25, 2008

More Talk on the NO Co's

I am posting an article that was on the website of www.bassfan.com under their docktalk section. I feel that most guys just look at the major articles and move on. Here in another interesting case that discusses the no-co's. I of course wrote my take on this on an earlier post. Please read and if interested you can go to the article and post your feedback for Bassfan.

Ross

No-Co Decision: BASS's Best Move

Thursday, July 24, 2008
by Steve Chaconas




(Steve Chaconas has been covering pro bass fishing for 20 years. Currently he writes for BoatUS Trailering, Woods & Waters USA, The Sportsman's Magazine and other titles. He provides radio coverage of pro events and is also the BoatUS.com "fishing expert.")

Just as a fan reaches over the wall to keep an outfielder from catching a home-run ball, bass fishing's co-angler has been affecting outcomes of top-level tournaments for too long.

Last week, this one element within the control of tournament organizers was been taken out of play by BASS. The ESPN organization has stressed that co-anglers still have the opportunity to compete in the Open series, but may now only ride as observers with Elite Series pros.

Historically, tournaments relied on "draw" formats to police events. This pro-on-pro in the same boat format wasn't very popular and caused friction between anglers. The advent of the observer/co-angler thus came about and the pros were able to sink or swim on their own merits – until the co-anglers got good, that is.

The cos scooped up fish the pros missed and needed. They exposed patterns and gave unfair advantage to pro partners. And in some cases, they inadvertently shared information, which lent an unfair advantage.

Bottom line: Co-anglers affected the outcome of pro bass events. Co-anglers also take their economic toll. Cos and pros look the same to fans with the sea of sponsored shirts. Shares of sponsor support split, which makes it more difficult for pros to stay in the game.

Elite pro Kurt Dove thinks this change was overdue, and it comes at a great time. "BASS has done a great job elevating the sport in various ways – payouts, the level of competition – and is now taking out the final variable that can alter the outcome of an event or anglers' success," Dove said. He also stressed that the sport isn't just a couple of guys trying to make a few bucks. "Pro fishermen are making a living and compete at the highest level."

While Dove admits the purification of the sport might not cause casual fans to take note, he believes: "The avid bass angler will understand the importance of putting pro against pro and eliminating a controllable variable, the co-angler, from competition."

The new rule takes the rod out of the co-angler's hands, but doesn't take them out of the pro's boat. Pro Kelly Jordon reflected on great relationships he's had with cos in our conversation, but added: "I'm not a fishing guide, I'm a professional bass fishermen trying to make a living out there, and co-angler is not an entitlement."

He also identified top-level bass events that exclude cos, like the Bassmaster Classic and the old E50 events. "It's going be much more a pure fishing competition without the distraction of worrying about a guy casting over you, or picking off a fish that might have helped you," he said. "Ninety-five percent of the cos are great, but it's the 5% who aren't, and there are some nightmare stories out there."




The co-angler skill level also varies, from average to those with fishing abilities that rival their pro.

Jordon says this ruling turns over control to pros, which results in less pressure on spots and the fishery itself. ("It's hard to run a pattern with the extra pressure," he told me.) But cos still have the opportunity to ride and see how pros fish.

Bottom line, Jordon says it's more of a level playing field and it's going to eliminate excuses. "It's all you. Co-anglers can't help or hurt you. It makes it more pure – pro on pro with less distractions."

As for the policing effect, Jordon says with cameras, fans and so much at stake, pros at the highest level won't risk cheating and have been known to turn themselves in for rules infractions costing them valuable position in the standings.

Not all co-anglers are created equal, either. Frank Scalish says the co-angler is an unequal variable and each co's idea of why he or she is in that boat differs.

Some cos won't get in the way – some won't even fish. "Or then you get a guy who feels he should be fishing cast-for-cast and never gives the (pro) a break," Scalish said.

The co-angler skill level also varies, from average to those with fishing abilities that rival their pro, and Scalish contends that if fishing is a pro sport, it's about time it behaved like one. "We're the only pro sport in the world where the weekender can get on the playing field and affect the outcome of the game."

This is certainly a divided subject. Co-anglers want to fish with/against the pros, and most pros don't want them. Many a pro has described a good co-angler as one who can't fish. The pros don't want someone in the boat catching their fish, and taking away sponsor dollars and media attention. The pro is a full-time angler with a career on the line. A full-time co-angler affects the outcome and the career.

There'll be plenty of time and opportunity for up-and-comers to fish other trails as co-anglers and learn the ropes from very good anglers.

I feel this move by BASS will turn out to be the best move made in the history of the sport to date.


No comments: